Thursday, March 26, 2009

The thrill of spills...

Oh the thrill of spills! This morning was going to be a hectic one with both Mike and having to have kids out of the house by a certain time and on the road to our respective appointments. As Murphy's Law would have it, we got through the showering, dressing and bottle making when it was time to sit the kids down and feed them breakfast. Rather than eat their breakfast the boys decided to get into an argument about something extremely important-like what color the flower on the table was-and started their usual back and forth banter. Jackson decided to emphasis his usual "NO" by standing up on the chair and getting in Braden's face to say it LOUDER and PROUDER..."NOOOOOOOOOOO it's not, Bra-den!" And then all of the sudden, right before my very eyes his cereal bowl went flying, MILK AND ALL! Rather than get upset and annoyed Mike and I just took the task at hand and started working together to clean the mess up as quickly and efficiently as possible with the hopes that we could finish getting them fed and be onto the next task. During the clean up, I had told Jackson "see what happens when you don't pay attention?" and left it at that.


Not so long after the spill the boys asked me to make them "coffee" for the ride to school, so I gladly started boiling the water and let each of them pick out the packet of hot chocolate to mix into the water. Jackson declared that he wanted a BIG BOY CUP like Braden had. So, Mike pulled out a cup with a lid and straw and got the approval from the newest big boy in town, Jackson. I loaded everyone up in the car and handed each of them their to go "coffee mugs" and we were off. All of the sudden I hear Jackson say "uh oh, mommy"...I sigh and ask him what happened and he tells me that he "pilled his coffee all over the place." I started my lecture by telling him that I am driving and that I will help him when we get to school (the hot chocolate was luke warm so no damage done there) but that he needs to be more careful with the new big boy cups. Jackson listens carefully and then tells me, "see what happens when you don't pay attention?"


On my way to my customer I went over the mornings events in my head again. It was then that I reflected on what Jackson had recited back to me just 20 minutes earlier. Only this time I heard it differently. What I heard in those exact words was that if I don't hold onto the memories of these little spills and mishaps, someday I will miss them. And before I know it I'll be telling myself "see what happens when you don't pay attention?"

Note to self: Live in the moment


To see it through their eyes...

No comments:

Post a Comment